Larger imageSuspended Air Conditioning Unit Braced with Angle
Source: Noson, Perbix, SSD
To secure suspended air conditioning units.
When anchoring to post-tensioned slab, locate and avoid reinforcing.
Strengthen the existing supports with angle brace.
- Angle—1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/4"
- U-bolts—1/4" (if applicable at piping) (see Piping)
- Sheet metal screws—No. 10 x 3/4"
- Brace air conditioning (AC) unit with angles, installed diagonally at every other or on alternate sides.
Weld angle bases to support rod.
- Screw top and bottom of each angle to the supports with sheet metal screws.
- If the space between the ceiling and the bottom of any unit exceeds twice the minimum base dimension, move heater up so that space is less than two times the base dimension.
Brace the unit to the side wall if the unit cannot be moved up. Build a support frame for the heater with diagonal braces.
- Consult a structural engineer for bracing design for other conditions.